Traveling is the best thing anyone can do for themselves. It’s an investment in your soul. Going to the airport solo, is like one of my most favorite things to do. Everyone is going somewhere. And as everyone rushes past me I’m like, “Where are they going?” I wonder what their middle name is. What’s the best thing that’s ever happened to them? Who was their first kiss? What’s stuck to the fridge in their kitchen by a magnet? This is probably because seeing all those people, all doing something, can almost make you feel small. In the best way, it’s the realization that there is a bigger picture here. It’s inspiring, to me at least. In a few days I will be soloing at the airport and I’m BEYOND STOKED! Since traveling is one of my biggest passions, I have some packing tips and tricks to make everything go as smooth as possible.
The first thing I ALWAYS, ALWAYS strive to do is: carry-on only. In some instances, it’s unavoidable, but more often than not, a carry on and a personal item is enough!
Carry-On: Functionality trumps looks in the luggage department, ALWAYS! I have the cutest flamingo luggage set and when Matt and I are running through the airport, GUESS WHAT? I ALWAYS make him switch with me, lol. His is less bulky, rolls easier, and maneuvers better. See, FUNCTIONALITY! Get a carry-on with those qualities! (I’m actually about to take his when I go to Vegas in a few days)
Personal Item: Back packs are the BEST for this! Personal Items are super important to me, because it’s how you’re going be comfortable. Here are a few things I recommend!
- Make-up wipes:(My personal FAVES are pictured above) I throw on a little BB cream while I’m flying, use the make-up wipes on the descent, and then re-apply right before my plane lands! (This keeps me fresh faced)
- Toiletries: I keep these in the front pocket of my personal item (backpack), far away from the clothes in my carry-on. That way, if they bust, they won’t ruin anything inside the bag.
- Chargers/Electronics: This way you won’t be in a bind if your phone dies (easy access), and you can keep a tight watch on your electronics! (In my case laptops and cameras)
- Hair Brush: If you have long hair, this is a must. Especially if you’re like me, and like to sleep on planes.
- Head Phones: I love to listen to podcasts and music. When you’re traveling, anything can happen and you may be left alone for prolonged periods of time. Make sure these are with you! BTW: I made the most perfect travel playlist in Spotify. It’s called “Planes Trains and Automobiles”. Seriously, look it up. It rules!
- Book: Like I said, anything can happen! If your flight gets delayed, or if you have a long flight, it’s always a good idea!
Packing Cubes: If you want more space in your suitcase, this is a great way to make it happen! It’s like some Harry Potter magic, lol. I’m honestly not sure why these things work like they do, but OMG! It’s magic. These were $8.00 from Walmart! I’m not super experienced with them yet, but so far they have blown my mind! I still can’t figure out how they work!
Shoes: It’s hard to pack shoes because you don’t want what touches the ground to be near your clean clothes. I use our “reusable grocery bag” because it can be washed after and is just convenient! (Doubles as a dirty clothes bag too!)
So to be honest, by nature I am a textbook over packer! This year I want to be the best version of myself, so I’ve decided to make an ultimate minimal packing list. Here it is!
The Ultimate List to Not Over Packing
- Tops: One dressy, two casual, one tank.
- Bottoms: Black leggings, grey leggings, one pair of jeans.
- Outerwear: One flannel, a jean shirt, and one jacket.
- Dresses: One dress that can be dressed up, and one super casual.
- Undergarments/Swim: One bathing suit, one bralette, one bra. (Underwear as needed)
- Sleepwear: One over-sized sleep shirt dress.
This has all of your bases covered, without over crowding yourself! You will be ready for whatever!
PRO TIP: Wear your most comfy outfit! This shirt is basically a blanket! Also, I always wear some sort of comfortable sandal or flipflop, because my feet swell on planes. Also LEGGINGS, always LEGGINGS! These sandals are made out of yoga mats, HIGHLY RECOMMEND! (THIS SHIRT IS CURRENTLY $11 at Target in the sale section!)
I am so so so so so so EXCITED! I will be in Las Vegas with two of my very best friends since high school. We’re just excited to be together. It could be anywhere, as long as we’re together! This is my second time in Sin City! If you have a must do, leave it in a comment, so I can add it to our list! DEFINITELY going to the fancy Taco Bell that serves alcohol! I’ll let you know how that goes! Anyways, I hope this will help you in your travels, from a recovering over-packer! Packing is super annoying, but also so exciting, because it means an adventure is awaiting you! Always say yes to an adventure!
Anyways, love you!!! Bye!