So this trip was a little different then most, I wasn’t with my best girl friends, or alone, I was with my boyfriends mother. She’s not so much of a traveler, but was totally up for it! I am a FUN CRAMER and this trip was no different! We did sssooooo much stuff! Coming back to my real job was tough, exhausted was an understatement, we needed a vacation from our vacation; but we still had all the fun! I’ve had a hard time narrowing down the best things from everything we did. I love New York its so beautiful, it buzzes, not how Vegas buzzes, Vegas buzzes with money excitement and sin. New York buzzes with culture, diversity, and hustle. I would live there, its not my 1st choice, but its definitely top 5.
I was a little nervous because when it comes to traveling I do have a lot of strong suits but where I fall short is NAVIGATION, normally I let someone else take the lead on that. Not to say I can’t though, I did go to Indonesia completely alone, but this time it wasn’t just me. I knew getting us through the subways would be totally up to me, and it made me super nervous, because I don’t care if I get lost but I didn’t want to get her lost! She was a trouper though! Meet Janis! She is a firecracker if I’ve ever met one!
so lets get into it, here are 5 things you HAVE to do in NYC!
- Fridays at The Met: Okay so The Metropolitan Museum of Art is fantastic enough on its own, its safe to say its my favorite building in NYC; but on Fridays they kick it up a few notches. A few months out of the year they host “Fridays at The Met”, and the museum stays open till 9. Not only are they open for much longer than normal, but they open an indoor tapas restaurant on the second floor which over looks beauty of the museum below you, and they don’t stop there. Not only can you order super yummy food, and drinks, but an orchestra ensemble plays right next to you! I CANNOT MAKE THIS STUFF UP! I was dying inside a little at how perfect it all was! “Fridays at The Met” was probably my FAVORITE thing we did while we were there. We saw my favorite Monet painting that have been, dying to see since I was 5! (My mom bought me a children’s book that incorporated Monet that artwork throughout the story, it was my favorite book) It was a perfect evening! Also They have an upstairs rooftop bar that over looks the city. AND my BFF Megan, who lives in NYC, and her roommate, MET us there! lol get it MET! SO FUN!!!!
- Go see a Broadway Play, or ANY play: We saw Kinky Boots, but there is really nothing like seeing a play in NYC like that. Everyone is so so so so talented. NYC is obviously flooded with phenomenal, creative, musical, and theatrical people. I would even LOVE to go see an off-broadway play next time too, I’m sure the acting and singing is just as beautiful. The thing about being on Broadway is that they have doll-hairs for the pizzazz aka fancy props and stages. Kinky Boots was AMAZING though!!! I seriously lovvvveeddd it hilarious! We tried to see my talented friend Jessica’s improv group, but they were so good, that by the time we finished our drink from a bar around the corner, that she dropped us off at; the show sold out! Next time Jessica!!! But seriously if you are in NYC go see a show!!! People always amaze me at the talent that pours in from all over the world to the big apple; so go and be amazed!!! PRO-TIP: Put those tiny 99cent vodka shooters in your bra so you don’t have to pay astronomical drink prices! I have tested this out! Works great.
- Hotdogs and Buckets of Beer at the Brooklyn Bridge: Right next to this place called The Ice Cream Factory, there is this little covered out door hot-dog place. They have cheapish hotdogs, with butter toasted buns; and cheapish buckets of ice cold BEER! Listen, thats not even the best part! The best part is THE VIEW! You have the most amazing view of the city skyline. We sat out there for HOURS, an had 1 bucket of beers to many! haha! This was one of my favorite things we did! This cheap meal was an experience! You sit at these little red tables and just awe over the NYC skyline!
- The MoMa: Museum of Modern Art: This place! So, its not as grand and luxurious as The Met, but it has its own essence of cool. They have some classics as well as PLENTY of modern art! We saw ‘Starry Night‘ here, which was a dream come true for me! It was just a great way to spend an afternoon. Walking among the beautiful art, and interesting history of it all. I love that they thrown in some classics as well! It was relaxing and interesting! PRO-TIP: They have a huge wrap around couch to chill and put your feet up! Its a great place for a quick rest!
- Sleep No More: Unfortunately I only have one blurry phone photo from this AMAZING one of a kind experience!!!!!!! This was one of the coolest things I’ve ever done in my ENTIRE LIFE! So this is an interactive play! Its loosely based on Shakespeare’s McBeth. It’s a bit complicated to explain but I’ll do my best! Upon entering, you are handed a playing card with a number 1-10, or and jack, king, queen, etc. We got the tickets where we had a table , they are a little more but totally worth it! You are also given this mask. Phones and cameras are forbidden, (hence my lack of photo’s, I snuck this one)! You go into this 1920’s themed lounge (pictured below) As they call your card, you are sent into the “hotel” in groups, separate from the people you came with. It is described as an individual experience. The hotel is dark and about 8 stories or so. You then follow all the characters throughout the hotel running around. There are many, many scenes going on at once on every floor. Its impossible to see the whole thing on one go, in my opinion. They will whisper things in your ear, and bring you into the play for a few lucky people. I got brought in! Super cool, super creepy! Everything is so so so detailed and thought out, from the papers in the drawers on the desk, to the candy, in little bowls. There is nudity, blood, tears, and love. IT WAS SO FREAKING COOL! If you are looking for a different experience in NYC, this is it! It has a haunted house vibe, but trust me it is not a haunted house. Nothing is going to pop out at you, the goal is not to scare you its just a play! It does feel like you are actually in a play or a movie. I would HIGHLY recommend, DEF going again next time I’m in NYC! Sorry it has taken me so long to get this post up. I’ve honestly just been focusing on my mental state lately. I’m feeling much better now, and I’m ready to get back to my goals and dreams! Anyway! I hope you can find this of some help for your next trip to NYC, or enjoyed the pictures and short read! Many more post to come! Thanks for your patience, and hope you had awesome memorial day! YAY!!! I’m going to leave you with some 9/11 memorial pictures in honor of the holiday! Remember I love you!!!!